Monday, December 6, 2010

Franco would like to thank The Academy…

At least I hope he get’s the chance to!

From the Academy Award Winning Director of last years, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, Danny Boyle sure doesn’t seem to disappoint with his newest: 127 Hours!  James Franco stars in this extraordinary true story about a mountain climber who becomes trapped under a boulder while canyoneering alone near Utah and resorts to desperate measures in order to survive. The movie has only been released in selected theatres worldwide and in my area, is currently only playing in one measly Toronto theatre. How sad am I? I just don’t have the time at the moment to drive down there to see it, even though, I have to say, I am incredibly desperate to watch it after the reviews I’ve been hearing/reading about! Here are some examples to hopefully get you as excited as I am:

‘127 hours scales the heights of film-making’- USA TODAY
’Outlandishly Entertaining’-NEW YORK TIMES
’Triumphant and Enthralling’- ROLLING STONE
’One of the greatest performances of all time!’-Scottfeinberg.com
‘James Franco gives a tour-de-force performance’-THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
’Celebratory and Spellbinding from start to finish’- GQ
& received FOUR STARS from Roger Ebert (that's HUGE!)

Personally, I LOVE James Franco as an actor. When I found out about this role, I definitely was very excited for him. He has always tried hard in his past roles, but has never really achieved anything significant. Though, his enthusiasm for acting, willingness to take on challenging projects, and movie star good looks have finally paid off for him by the looks of it. I think this movie will demonstrate the maximum talent that we KNOW Franco is capable of showing us. Much like Johnny Depp becomes Captain Jack Sparrow, Franco will become climber Aaron Ralston, a role which, if played by anyone else, might have just been the story of some guy trapped in a hole.

I’m just going to make sure I brace myself for the scene where Franco ‘cuts off’ his arm. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty squeamish about gore and blood and rumour has it that during the premiere some people actually passed out during the scene. I’m betting that I will need to watch it a few times over before I can truly appreciate the moment with eyes wide open! But squeamish or not, I’m sure the movie does leave you wondering about what YOU would do if you ever found yourself trapped in a similar situation.

The film has been nominated for other prestigious awards already, but will we see it at the Academy Awards? Regardless of popular belief, I personally hope that we see both Danny Boyle and James Franco holding the golden statues while the world gives them a standing ovation! I think Franco finally deserves a moment of glory. (and I haven’t even seen the movie yet!!)

I think it will be a little more than 127 hours before I finally do (I wish it was released closer to me), but I can’t WAIT to critique my pre-movie analysis! Here’s hoping I don’t pass out first!

Here’s the movie trailer, Enjoy! :)
Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment